Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (2024)

  • Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (1)

If you are going to live and/ or work in the Netherlands, you need to register with your local municipality (gemeente). Municipalities record the personal data of their residents, including marriage status, the birth of a child, or change of address in the Personal Records Database (BRP). If you are moving from abroad and are registering for the first time (this is called the first registration), you will receive your citizen service number (burgerservicenummer – BSN) which you will need to work, open a bank account and take out health insurance.

There are a couple of things to take into account when making an appointment with the municipality:

  • The length of your stay
  • Type of registration
  • If you have your own official address or not (see temporary registration)

Please read this information to inform yourself about your situation and fill in the appointment form to receive the appointment link(s) that apply to your personal situation.

Questions? Contact us

The length of your stay - There are two types of municipal registration, depending on the length of your stay.

Staying for longer than fourmonths

If you are staying in the Netherlands for longer than four months in the following six months, you need to register with the municipality. It is legally required to register within 5 days with your municipality. However, due to high demand and staff shortages it may not be possible to get an appointment within these 5 days. That is why you need to make an appointment within 5 days after your arrival.

If you have a partner and/or child(ren) who also need to be registered, they must come with you to the appointment. If you plan to live in Utrecht, Amersfoort, De Ronde Venen, Hilversum, Woerden, or Oudewater, you can register through the International Welcome Centre. Use the appointment form below to make an appointment. Please note: temporary registration is only possible in the cities of Utrecht and Hilversum. It is not possible to temporarily register with the municipalities ofAmersfoort, Hilversum, Woerden or Oudewater at the International Welcome Centre.

Moving to another city or town in Utrecht Region? Check out their contact details and book an appointment with them to register.

Staying for four months or less

If you are staying in the Netherlands for four months or less in the following six months, you are not required to officially register. However, if you plan to work or want access to services like healthcare, you require a citizen service number (BSN). You can register for a short stay in the Netherlands to be entered in the Registry for Non-Residents(Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI) and receive a BSN.

You can register as a non-resident at 19 municipalities in the Netherlands: Utrecht, Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, The Hague, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle. You can choose in which municipality you want to register. If you want to register in Utrecht, you need to make an appointment. Use the appointment form below to make an appointment.

Please note: if youwillbestaying longer than four months but do not yet meet the requirements to register at your municipality, it is not possible to temporarily register in the RNI to obtain a BSN.

At our centre, you can with the municipalities of

Type of registration

First registration

If you are relocating to the Netherlands from abroad for the first time, you need to register with the municipality that you will live in. We call this a first registration. Please use the appointment form below to make an appointment for a first registration.

Make an appointment

Registering foreign documents

Please make an appointment with the city of Utrecht if you have arranged your first registration but need to come back to have some documents registered.

Please note: the International Welcome Centre only processes certificates for the municipality of Utrecht. If you live in another municipality, please contact your local municipality to register your documents.

Make an appointment for one person

Student registration

Are you moving to Utrecht Region to study? Welcome! It is important to register with your municipality. Find all the information you need on our website and make an appointment.

Register as a student

Temporary registration

If you don't have your own permanent accommodation yet, you can look into temporarily registering with the municipality. Find more information below.

Changing address or leaving the Netherlands

Are you changing address in the same municipality? Or are you moving to another municipality or leaving the Netherlands? You have to report this to the authorities.

More info

Temporary registration - Only possible when registering with the city of Utrecht

If you don’t have your own official address within 5 days of your arrival, it is possible to temporarily register with the City of Utrecht. Please note: you can only use one of the registration options below if you are going to live in and register with the municipality of Utrecht or Hilversum. You can't temporarily register at the International Welcome Centre if you are going to live in Amersfoort, Woerden or Oudewater: please contact your municipality for more information.

You can temporarily register in three ways:

  • Using the official postal address of your employer. Some employers allow their employees to temporarily register with the municipality by using their official postal address. This is only a temporary measure, valid for a maximum period of three months. You can only register using the postal address if:
    - You have permission of your employer
    - Your employer's postal address is located in the city of Utrecht
    - If you already live in the Netherlands
    - You don't already have a rental contract (in another municipality)

    Download the declaration form.

  • If you are living at a residence rented by your employer. Download the declaration form.
  • If you are living at someone else’s address. Download the declaration form.

Fill in the form below to make an appointment and bring the completed and signed declaration form together with the required documents mentioned in the form to your appointment.

Make an appointment

Using the International Welcome Centre’s appointment form. Please fill in this form and receive the appointment link(s) that apply to your personal situation by email. If you haven’t received the email in your inbox within an hour, please check your spam folder. Please send an email to if you have questions.

Please note: it may take longer than usual to make an appointment due to high demand. Please book your appointment early on in the relocation process. If the appointment tool keeps on loading, this means that all time slots are fully booked. Please check the appointment tool regularly to see if new time slots have opened up. Our apologies for this inconvenience.

Go to appointment form

We value your privacy
The International Welcome Centre Utrecht Region takes the protection of your data seriously. The data of the appointment form will be processed and recorded in the registration system of the International Welcome Centre, part of the Municipality of Utrecht. Your data will not be transferred to third parties. The Municipality of Utrecht processes and protects your personal data as described in their Data Protection Declaration.

What to bring to the appointment

  1. A valid passport or ID card for each person that needs to be registered.
  2. Proof of occupancy: a rental/ tenancy agreement, home purchase deed or a completed form for temporary registration.
  3. Legalised birth, marriage and/ or divorce certificate (if available) – this doesn’t apply to international students. The municipality only accepts deeds in English, German and French. Deeds in other languages must be translated by a sworn translator. Both the original deed and the translated document must be legalised. Please note: all deeds must comply with the rules for legalisation. Read more about the legalisation of documents.
  4. A proof of deregistration in case you are relocating from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or Sint Eustatius.

Other settling-in topics

  • Living in Utrecht Region

    Living in Utrecht Region

    Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (8)

    Time to get familiar with life in Utrecht Region! Click the link below to find information in English about housing, education, healthcare, childcare, culture, employment, finance, transportation, learning Dutch, and more.

    More info

  • Residence permit & visa

    Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (9)

    You might need a permit or visa to enter and stay in the Netherlands. Whether you require one and which type depends on your situation, how long you're staying, your reason for moving and your nationality.

    More info

  • Report your move

    Report your move

    Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (10)

    When you are moving and changing address, or leaving the Netherlands all together, it is important to inform the authorities. Click the link below for more information and make an appointment.

    More info

Register in Utrecht Region | The Netherlands (2024)


What do I need to register in Utrecht? ›

What should I bring to my appointment with the municipality of Utrecht? A valid form of identification (passport or identity card). If you have received an MVV visa, you should bring your passport with the MVV sticker to the registration appointment.

What happens if I don't register in the Netherlands? ›

If you are not correctly registered

You may receive an administrative fine of €325. You will no longer receive allowances for housing, healthcare (zorgtoeslag) or children. Your health insurance allowance (ziektekostenvergoeding) will be discontinued. You can no longer apply for a passport, ID card or driver's licence.

What does it mean to register in the Netherlands? ›

When you register with a Dutch municipality your personal data is entered in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You will be registered as a resident. If you were already in the BRP as a non-resident, your data will be updated.

What happens if you don't deregister in the Netherlands? ›

So, if you don't deregister yourself, you still take up one of the registration 'seats' at the address which might result in the next tenant not being able to register. Besides this, it can also bring extra taxes for your landlord and/or roommates because you did not deregister yourself in time.

How do I register in the Netherlands without a house? ›

In case you don't have a home address (yet), you can register under a correspondence address. This address is temporary and an administrative address only. For instance, the address of a family member or a colleague. The correspondence address must be a recognised address in the BRP; you cannot use a P.O.

How much does it cost to register in the Netherlands? ›

Registration is free of charge. After registering you will receive a Dutch citizen service number (BSN). You need a BSN to work, open a bank account, take out healthcare insurance or apply for benefits. Which documents you need depends on your situation.

How long can you live in the Netherlands without registering? ›

Registering with a municipality for stays exceeding 4 months

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than four months, you need to register your details in the local Personal Records Database (BRP). Your municipality can provide you with more information on registering.

How important is registration in the Netherlands? ›

Once you arrive in the Netherlands (EU national or not), you must register at the town hall in the area in which you will live. This is necessary if you plan to work or study in the Netherlands and/or are staying for over four months. Once you register, you are marked as a legal resident of your municipality.

Where should I register in Netherlands? ›

Registering with the municipality

If you are going to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months you need to register with the municipality where you are going to live. You must do this within 5 days of arriving in the Netherlands. Make an appointment at the municipality to do this.

What is the easiest way to move to the Netherlands? ›

As a non-EU citizen, if you want to move to the Netherlands, the most straightforward method is by finding a job and applying for a work visa. As such, the process of moving to the Netherlands can be described as follows: Find a Job in the Netherlands. Apply for a Dutch Work Visa.

What is the Netherlands Register of Non Residents? ›

The Non-residents Records Database (RNI) is a register of people who do not live in the Netherlands (anymore) but who have dealings with the Dutch authorities. It also includes people who live in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. The RNI is part of the Personal Records Database (BRP).

What documents do I need to live in the Netherlands? ›

Residence and Work Permits

In order to reside in The Netherlands, one must be in possession of a valid residence permit. This must be obtained from the Dutch Immigration authorities, the Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst otherwise known as the IND. Please see for further information.

Can I keep my Dutch bank account if I move abroad? ›

Temporary stay abroad

If you are moving abroad for work for a period of under three years, you will probably be eligible for a 'Temporary stay outside the Netherlands' statement. This means that you can keep your ABN AMRO products and/or that you will not pay a surcharge while you live abroad.

How long can a Dutch citizen stay outside the Netherlands? ›

You will lose your Dutch citizenship if: after turning 18, you live outside the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten or the European Union for longer than 13 years and. you hold another citizenship during that 13-year period and.

How long can I stay in the Netherlands without a residence permit? ›

Staying in the Netherlands for a long period of time

If a person is coming to the Netherlands for more than 90 days, they will need a residence permit.

How to register with Utrecht University? ›

Submit an enrolment application in Studielink

Studielink is the national website created for students to arrange their enrolment (and re-enrolment) at Dutch universities and other higher education institutions. To apply to Utrecht University, you must first start an enrolment application in Studielink.

How do I register as a non-resident in the Netherlands? ›

If you are a non-resident or staying in the Netherlands for a maximum of 4 months, you can register with the Non-Residents Register (RNI). You can register at one of the 19 municipalities with an RNI desk , and you can choose the municipality where you want to do this.

How do I register with a Dutch municipality? ›

If you are moving within the Netherlands, you must inform your new municipality of your arrival. The registration is done in person at your local town or city hall, in most cities by appointment only. All family members that will be registered must be present. No registration fees apply.

How to register at a new address in the Netherlands? ›

If you move, you must inform the municipality of your change of address, either in person or in writing. Sometimes, if you're moving within the same municipality, you can do so online. The new municipality will update your address in the Personal Records Database (BRP).

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Last Updated:

Views: 6193

Rating: 4.3 / 5 (44 voted)

Reviews: 83% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Saturnina Altenwerth DVM

Birthday: 1992-08-21

Address: Apt. 237 662 Haag Mills, East Verenaport, MO 57071-5493

Phone: +331850833384

Job: District Real-Estate Architect

Hobby: Skateboarding, Taxidermy, Air sports, Painting, Knife making, Letterboxing, Inline skating

Introduction: My name is Saturnina Altenwerth DVM, I am a witty, perfect, combative, beautiful, determined, fancy, determined person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.